Sunday, January 13, 2013

So I started a blog...

My name is Lacy Entwhistle*, and I'm 27 years old. I work at an animal hospital in a small city somewhere in the United States. In about a week, I'll be starting online courses to work toward an Associate's degree in veterinary technology.

So I decided to start a blog, partly so I can share my experiences with other inquiring minds and individuals who are maybe considering the same type of program, but mostly because I canceled all of my MMO subscriptions and need something to procrastinate with now.

From what I understand from talking to others in the field, I have kind of an unusual background for someone pursuing veterinary technology. I graduated from a four-year state university with a Bachelor's in chemistry a few years ago. I had originally pursued biology, but switched majors in my Sophomore year because I discovered that most bio majors are preppy, annoying, and not very smart.

I was surrounded by starry-eyed girls (because, let's face it, most girls hate math, and bio is the only science that actively avoids anything harder than algebra, except for maybe psychology, but that's not really a science anyway) who all wanted to be doctors and vets, but who had completely unrealistic expectations of not only the basic fundamentals of science upon which the field of medicine is built, but also of the fact that, realistically, their chances of actually (1) being accepted into, and (2) graduating from any medical school were astronomically small.

Maybe I'm being cynical, or that was just the case at the school I attended, but either way, switching majors was probably the best decision I ever made.

After graduation, I would have loved to continue on and get a Master's in something like atmospheric chemistry, but financially, that wasn't really an option. I moved several states away from my hometown to live with a guy that I was seriously dating at the time, and started to look for jobs. Unfortunately, my location and timing couldn't have been worse. I was in an area that was heavy on technology and industry, but abysmally light on research, pharmaceuticals, private labs, or really anything that offered good prospects for a recent chemistry grad.

So I took what I could find and ended up working at an engineering consulting firm. The pay was decent and it was a steady, if boring, job. Then, a few months ago, the owner of the firm retired, leaving me jobless. I tried to go back to chemistry, but still got no offers. Around that time I also separated from my boyfriend and moved back home.

I'm out of time just now to finish the tale, but I'll resume here later. I bet you're dying with suspense.

*  Not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment